Monday, April 23, 2012

Just checking in...

Hey Cake Lovers!

It's been a few weeks since I have been able to sit down and blog, so much has been going on. Now that things are slowing down some, I am able to get back into the swing of things!

I owe you all several updates on my progress about Course Level 3: Gum Paste & Fondant.  Let me just say in one simple phrase 'it has been an experience'.  I have learned a lot of useful tips on how to properly use gum paste and our last week (this upcoming weekend) will focus on covering a cake with fondant.  I will say though throughout this course, I have felt a little lost. But I am slowly finding my way through the course. I have a few updated photos to post for you about the different projects we are working on for class.  This week is our final class and we get to put everything together. Yesterday in class we were tasked with making a bow, and let me say that was an experience to say the least!  A lot of time and effort goes into making a bow for cakes and/or cupcakes.  One major piece of information that I picked up was that according to our instructor it takes up to five days for the bow to dry.   So just know, if you plan on making a bow that you will need to plan ahead!  I plan to use this bow for my final masterpiece for class.  Since I am using 'cutouts' for my final cake, I cannot prepare them prior to class.  The reason is because I want the cutouts to form to the cake, so this must be done the day of.  The bow is going to be my centerpiece for my cake. I intend to use the one that I made this past Sunday in class.  So before the next class we have been tasked with the following:
  • Bake a round cake 8 X 4 double layer (We are supposed to bring to class, un-iced. But I plan to crumb layer my cake and I will finish up the icing in class.)
  • Develop an idea for the final cake 
  • Tint fondant - This was not an assigned class, but the design I have picked out requires the fondant to be tinted.
Looks like I have another busy week ahead of me. Since the bow is already done, majority of the work is out of the way.  It is just a matter of tinting the fondant, which will not be a hard task.  I will be sure to keep you posted of my progress and show you the final result.:-)

~ L.B.

No comments:

Post a Comment